There are many pests that can cause a problem in your home if you let them. For instance, rats can chew electrical wires creating a fire hazard and cockroaches can spread bacteria and disease.
If not detected, termites can cause thousands of dollars’ worth of structural damage. To protect your home against problems potentially caused by a pest infestation, it’s often a good idea to find local pest control services.
Make sure the service will carry out regular inspections of your property and get rid of any pest(s) infestations. However, there are also things you can do, to make infestation less likely and to deal with pests should they become a problem.
How to Make Pest Infestation less Likely
There is no 100% guaranteed method of keeping pests out of your home. However, there are measures you can take which make infestation less likely.
Here are some top tips.
- Pest Proof. Make sure your home is as pest proof as possible. This includes checking for cracks and gaps in the walls, and gaps around doors and windows. If you locate any areas where pests could gain entry, you need to fill them in.
- Tidy. Keep your home tidy. It’s especially important to make sure food scraps are disposed of and food is not left out uncovered overnight. Pests can be attracted by any available food source.
- Kitchen Garbage. Empty kitchen garbage bins daily and never keep an open bin in the kitchen.
- Leaks. Deal with household leaks as soon as they become apparent. Pests such as termites thrive in damp areas, so make sure you get rid of any potential damp sources in your home.
- Vegetation. Keep vegetation away from the external walls of your home. The closer bushes and trees are to your property, the more likely pests will use them as a means of gaining entry, through gaps such as an open window.
All of these tips can help you to reduce the chances of pests setting up home in your property. If they do invade, there are things you can do, to get rid of them.
DIY Pest Control Measures you can Try
If you find you have a problem with an infestation of pests, try using these measures to deal with the issue.
- Scatter Diatomaceous Earth around places where insects can enter your home. The product causes damage to the exoskeleton of an insect and causes the creature to die.
- Place a solution of normal soap and water in a spray bottle, and spray troublesome bugs with it.
- Place mouse traps around your property. Try to place them where you’ve heard the sound of mice, or where you have seen droppings or signs of chewing.
- Use Nematodes to kill termites.
- Scatter mint leaves around as they should deter ants and flies from remaining in your home.
Using all of these tips can help stop a pest problem from happening, or get rid of one already there. If you cannot deal with the problem yourself, don’t delay in calling the experts, before things get out of hand.
Today, there’s a growing passion for the minimalist lifestyle, including minimalist travel and minimalist house design.