Most dads are generally known as a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy. Their ability to fix many things in their home seems to be something running through their veins.
From replacing water heaters, installing satellite dishes, to unclogging sinks and repairing other household items within the house. Most of the time, he feels capable of fixing everything, even their own heating and air conditioning units.
While he may be able to resolve some of the problems, there are times when it’s wiser to call for professional help. Especially when the investment is one of the household’s most expensive appliance like an HVAC system. It’s wise to know when and when not to take on “repair” jobs.
Here are some pointers from Watkins AC Repair to help dads out there to know what he can probably handle by himself and when he should make an appointment with a professional HVAC service.
Can Dad Handle It?
- Replace the Filter? – Definitely. Changing the filter is easier prob than changing a baby’s diaper. It’s a very simple process and he shouldn’t have any problem doing this. He just has to make sure everything is in order, clean and there are no loose debris in the unit. If the issue is just the filter he should just pull it out to clean it or just simply replace it with a new one.
- Electrical Issues? – Unless you’re an experienced electrician, it is best to avoid fixing electrical issues by yourself. Even though it may seem simple, a slight mistake can lead to the damage of the whole unit, or worse, it can start a fire. If you diagnosed the problem has something to do the electrical power, it’s time to call a professional to service your system.
- Cover Return Vents with Furniture? – Your dad may not like the look of the return vent and put furniture near it to conceal it. Although it will look better, it’s not a great idea as it can damage the HVAC unit. Why? It hinders the air flow from that vent. As a result, the unit will have to work harder to get to the temperature set on the thermostat.
- HVAC Long Term Maintenance? – He must unquestionably do this. If your HVAC unit is already 5 to 10 years old, planning to buy a new one or at least budgetting for a system should already be considered. It’s definitely not a frustrating experience when it breaks down during extreme weathers, but it’s more stressful if you don’t have enough money to replace or just even repair your unit.
- Usual Noises and Allergies? – Daddies have an uncanny knack to hear abnormal sounds. Sometimes, we’ll never notice the changes in the sound of our heating or cooling system until our pops mentions it. Changes in sound may be a sign something is wrong. Usually, weird noises is the telltale sign that it’s time for a furnace repair. If the unit is producing more noise than usual, it’s the perfect time to call for professional help to check it out.
Additionally, if someone in the household has allergies, its best to tell the expert so they can deal with the matter.
Indeed, most dads think they’re the jack-of-all-trades. While dads are usually the first one to investigate the problems in our appliances and equipment, he should remember the words of Dirty Harry when it comes to do it yourself repairs.
To be sure, some things are better left to the hands of the experts.
The experts can provide you an HVAC service price list for your convenience. Remember, the situation can get worse if it’s not properly fixed.
You can end up spending more money in the long run. It may make you spend more rather than save money.
So before operating your HVAC it’s best to read the manual and understand your limitations when it comes to maintaining your heating/cooling unit.
Copyright: lightkeeper / 123RF Stock Photo