I first learned about the power of attitude as an Air Force Academy cadet. An upperclassman would yell, “Short attitude check.” As obedient doolies (freshmen) we would respond, “This place [the Academy] sucks.” The upperclassman would continue with additional checks.
|Positive attitude check||This place positively sucks.|
|Hindu attitude check||Holy cow this place sucks.|
|Jewish attitude check||Oy vey this place sucks.|
|Pessimistic attitude check||No place sucks as bad as this place.|
Our attitude is one of the few things we have total control of in life yet many of us pick a negative one. If we truly understood the power of our own attitude, most of us would change it without hesitation.
What Is An Attitude?
Your attitude is created by your thoughts, feelings and actions. Your mind processes your feelings and decides whether the feelings will be positive or negative through your thoughts. Your body then reflects these feelings through actions and behaviors which produces the results in our lives.
You get what you put out. A positive attitude will produce positive results and a negative attitude will produce negative results. Makes sense? By changing your thoughts you can change your attitude and in turn change your results. Considering the unique challenges stepparents face in their blended families a positive attitude is absolutely essential.
Benefits Of A Positive Attitude
- Better relationships and friendships
- Receive more respect and love from people
- Improved health
- More energy
- Increased productivity
- Failures and problems become opportunities
- Enjoy more success
- You run into less daily obstacles and difficulties
- Helps you achieve goals
- You recognize opportunities easier
- Increases confidence and faith in your abilities
- Ability to inspire and motivate yourself and others
- Gives you strength to press on when challenged
With all these benefits do you want to know how to develop a positive attitude???
How to Develop A Positive Attitude
Whether it’s negative or positive your attitude is created by repetition over time. Yes, even for a negative attitude. As you maintain a positive attitude on a regular basis it will get easier for you. Your subconscious will learn and internalize from the repetition and eventually you’ll be thinking positively without any more effort.
Think of when you were first learning to type. If you’re like me, I was always looking at my keys because I didn’t trust I was hitting the right ones. With continuing practice eventually mastered the key board. If you’ve been typing for a while you can type subconsciously with confidence not really paying attention to the keyboard.
Things You Can Do To Begin Developing A Positive Attitude
- Minimize your exposure to negative media like TV, newspapers and the radio.
- Keep a gratitude journal; use it to record your daily achievements as well.
- Visualize positive outcomes.
- Take care of yourself – rest, play, exercise, eat clean and engage in self-improvement.
- Don’t allow negative thoughts and emotions to build a nest, release them and replace them with positive ones as soon as you recognize them.
- Use positive affirmations. Affirmations should personal, positive, present tense statements that will override the negative belief or negative thoughts already registered. For example, “I am a successful.”
- Adjust your posture: sit up straight, smile, walk erect and breathe deeply. Do this for a minute and you’ll start to feel the difference.
- Associate with positive people, they’ll rub off on you.
Pick as many of above actions you’re comfortable with and commit to doing them daily for the next 21 days. It takes that amount of time to establish a new habit.
You can jump start your reprogramming immediately by responding with a warm smile and a firm, “Excellent” whenever anyone asks, “How are you doing?” It may not feel genuine at first but as you continue repeating it, it will feel genuine and those around you will pick up on your new attitude as well.
Remember your attitude determines the majority of what you experience each day. Don’t neglect it. Be someone others want to be with because you lift their attitude, energy and enthusiasm. It’s your choice make it a positive one. Geological attitude check – you positively rock!
What things do you do to have a positive attitude?